From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2013 18:45:55 +0000
Randy said: 2.  The active ingredient (amitraz) makes California's Prop 65 list of

"“chemicals known to the State to cause reproductive toxicity.,” and EPA

classified it as "Class C possible human carcinogen."

Just wondering if the product Apivar with the active ingredient amitraz been assessed by the EPA and California state for health hazards  and in spite of potential health hazards  they still registered it for use.

Am I missing something here?

This question can also be addressed to the Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA). It  also reviewed the file and approved Apivar STRIPS for use in Canada.

In fact I asked PMRA regarding the claim (paper) if Amitraz is a  carcinogen. There answer the paper was reviewed and the research was never been supported. There was controversial statistics used, etc.

If this the case how come still liquid Amitraz in the market for use  in many countries for use on animals for tick control. It can be in milk or meat that is consumed by human.

Please keep in mind, I am not saying amitraz or any other chemicals are safe for bees or human. Just we have to review all safety data carefully and   to be vigilant when we use pesticides. I also agree that we need to diversify our approach for mite management to avoid repeating the past.

For resistance, it is inevitable will develop. How soon, It depends on the user's pattern and doses. At one time I discussed this issue with Dr. Colin from France at Apimondia - Quebec city last year. He mainly supported that users' pattern and illegal use of product with variable concentration could be major forces for causing that resistance. If efficacy was low, beekeepers would increase concentrations on their own. I am not talking about food safety and bees here! Please keep in mind residues and resistance studies are done on recommended doses not on home made recipes.

The question then is: how many generations will take varroa to develop resistance using label doses vs home made recipes?

I recall that PMRA find a beekeeper in Canada $31000 for illegal use of Amitraz to protect industry from developing resistance fast and spreading it and also for safety. By the way they are out continuing their job of inspection for proper use of miticides in bee hives.

Food for thoughts.

Medhat Nasr, Alberta, Canada.