From:
Scot Mc Pherson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:26:13 -0500
>I simply think it is an error to allow theories to become so large that
they overshadow the reality of the situation.
>Beekeepers in the north have problems that southern beekeepers simply
don't have. And for people to boast about their
>successes and belittle the efforts of others is wrong, unless they've
walked a mile in their shoes.

Interesting, I have experience in both the north and the south. Prior to
Joining the Navy, I kept bees in New England (CT and NJ), after the Navy
I kept bees in Southwest Florida. Now I keep Bees in the Midwest (Iowa).
I have never put any chemicals in the colonies in any of my beekeeping
experiences.

You need to try the experiments yourself. You are right, the enlargement
is a temporary thing...So long as you remove the enlarged
combs...However, if you leave in the enlarged combs, I am afraid the
bees size will remain as permanent as the combs you are using. Also if
you reread my previous post, I did explain that one measurement from a
single shakedown onto foundationless will show only so much reduction.
Do it again with the same bees and you get more reduction. Do it a 3rd
and 4th time and you have bees which average between 4.8 and 4.9mm...
Sorry this isn't thoery, this is fact. Yes in alaska you'lol have
naturally larger bees, yes in the tropics you will have naturally
smaller bees. 4.9mm is a middle of the road measurement, with it topping
off at 5.1mm and the smallest being 4.6mm. I am afraid that the facts
are that this is smaller than the standard foundations available which
range between 5.2mm and 5.4mm, and in somecased are extreme to 5.6-5.9
mm. Now if you take small cell comb, and fully regress the bees, then
let them go to natural comb/foundationless, you do not get an "natural
enlargement" they remain small cell EXCEPT in the far far north like
Alaska.

I am not belittling anyone, and as you said, you cannot judge until you
walk in someone elses shoes. Have you worn organic beekeeping shoes,
have you taken any steps in these shoes?

--
Scot McPherson
The McPherson Family Honey Farms