From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2006 17:16:18 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

Yeah  Chris, but you are in the UK, where there isn't much of a winter. Your
bees bring in pollen in February...from Ivy, isn't it?

Ivy is just about to yield nectar and pollen now and will continue to do so
for maybe a couple of months.  There's not much after that until goat  Willow,
(Salix caprea) in March accelerates everyhting. If I want to use oxalic  I
shall have to sacrifice brood.

 I looked into a few hives this afternoon taking Apiguard with me to  apply.
The first hive, a this year swarm, isn't very strong but I couldn't  find any
varroa so decided not to treat this year. The next had occasional  examples
of bald brood at red eye stage. I hooked out a few and nearly every one  had a
mite attached.  A couple of bald brood were almost mature. I hooked  them out
and looked for mites on them but failed to find them. Of course mites  might
have been left behind in the cells. They did get the Apiguard.

In another apiary, my only one that gave a decent yield in an exceptionally
hot and dry year.

Chris