From:
Gert-Paul Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 21:25:16 -0400
To all: an observation and a question-
        There has been much discussion regarding feeding syrup on this list.
In the past, I tried various methods, settling on inverted 1 gallon
plastic jars in an extra deep.  It took weeks for the bees to drain the
jars, often leaving some syrup that got moldy.  The jars also collapsed
in from the vacuum created by taking the syrup out.  Then I saw the
discussion re the ziplock bag method, and it seemed to work wonders last
fall.  The bees would clean out 3/4 gallon in 3-4 days.
        This spring I fed using both methods, with the same results.  Today
when I refilled the bag, I noticed something very interesting.  I
refilled holding open the 2 parallel slits (an X slit makes the bags
less stable on refilling) with 3/4 gallon and set it on a screen on the
top frames.  None leaked out, and I closed up the hive.  I then did some
other work and when I came back 15 minutes later, there was syrup
leaking from the front of the hive!  Inside I found the top of the bag
covered with hungry bees, and the weight seemed to be pressing down the
bag around the slits and letting the syrup leak out!  Has anyone else
noticed this, and is this possibly why the bags seem to empty so
quickly?
                thanks Gert Walter