From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 12:39:30 +0100
Hi Joe

 > I am interested in morphing the bees if I can find who does
 > this service.  An internet friend offered to morph these bees
 > a few years back, but haven’t taken up the offer yet.

It is not something that you can 'buy in as a service' because it is so
heavily tied in with the records (breeding history and performance) from
each individual colony.

You can learn how to do this for yourself using a negative or slide
scanner to generate the high definition images, then there are several
alternative software packages that can do the rest of the process.

You can download the software from...
http://www.gbbg.net/downloads.html

and others on...
http://www.dave-cushman.net/computing/downloads.html
http://www.dave-cushman.net/computing/lindownloads.html

At the Gormanston summer course...
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/gormanstonindex.html
application form available at...
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/gormreservation2007.html
there is a morphometry workshop, you are welcome to bring 30, 50 or 90
bee samples that are suitably prepared...
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/morphometric_sampling.html
from each colony that you wish to test. Many of the most expert
morphometricians will be on site and can guide/help you.

I would suggest you get started on the learning curve as soon as
possible, I know from personal experience that it is a bit tedious and
as a result is easily 'put off to another time', but it does take a few
years to fully understand some of the subtleties so the sooner you start
the better.

The tedium is less these days as we tend to use slide scanners rather
than the 35 mm projectors that were the only way when I learned about
the subject, but I would still recommend that you did the basic 'old
fashioned' method a few times to start with as in doing so you will
learn some of the mathematics that is behind the automatic scanner
method and thus increase your understanding.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)