From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:37:52 -0500
allen dick wrote:
>>I could not find any reputable site that put sugar or any other
>>allergies in the same category as nut or shellfish (or bee stings!),
>>which can be serious...
>>So to assume that feeding sugar syrup under the normal conditions that
>>syrup is fed, and have some of the resulting "sugar syrup honey" make
>>it into supers will lead to anaphylactic shock is a stretch...
>>I found no correlation with anaphylactic shock and sugar.
>

> Okay, that is an extreme case, and nobody has been arguing that sugar syrup
> in honey is going to kill anyone (or not), although mention was made of
> peanut allergy, since people have some vague awareness and can visualise it.
> Somehow, lately, discussions seem to wind up at an extreme -- like
> anaphylactic shock -- in only one or two posts, and the subtle actual point
> raised is no longer considered.  I don't know why, but it disturbs me.
> Let's try to look at shades of grey and see if we can find merit in
> seemingly odd ideas.

The problem is the mention of peanuts as an example. It was not a valid
example since, as noted, only shellfish and nuts are in the category of
dangerous food allergies. But using it as an example, it moved the
discussion from sensitive to dangerous.

Truth is, I did not intend to respond to the post, but after I did my
research, decided that the comment on peanut allergies needed a response.

If we are to comment on this list in "shades of grey" with every "odd"
post then we might as well close up shop, since there are right ways and
to shade them would be a disservice to those on the list. For example,
the response to my post on "sugar syrup honey" was strong and did not
allow any shade of grey, and I appreciated it since I was wrong.

We are here to learn, not agree.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine