From:
Jim Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:29:27 EDT
        I have been pondering a question concerning Varroa mite
reinfestation. Since drones are the primary vector for infestation it
would seem that the time around the "massacre of the drones" would be a
critical time to knock down the mites. The reasoning being that not all
hives oust the drones at the same time. Those hives doing it later may
receive the ousted drones from other hives.

        Now if Apistan strips were put on in early August then 45 days
would be fairly soon. My hives still have drones so if I were to take out
the strips it would seem possible that an influx of infested drones from
other hives would undo the work of the Apistan. This does argue for 56
days rather than 45 to cover the spread better.

        I have a number of questions concerning the ousting of drones.
When do the hives oust the drones?  What conditions delay the process
within a hive? Do some hives, or races of bees do it earlier or later?  Is
the process dependent on the length of the day, the weather, the flow or a
combination of elements? Would a hive in the process of supercedure keep
the drones around longer?  Are all the drones ousted or just the bulk of
them? This is my first year I'm curious about this interesting behavior.

        If this is a possible scenario then untreated local hives can have
a significant impact on v-mite population dynamics within treated hives at
the time of the ousting.

        Comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.