From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 19:49:09 +0900
Conrad Sigona wrote:

>> ......................................  Use of a hive mat ensures the hive
>> does not extend comb above the top frame bar.
>
>I have not heard of this. I presume it is placed across the top of the
>frames?

I use hive mats cut from surplus vinyl flooring - just a fraction smaller
than the super so that bees can move into the space below the lid. Because
of the physical barrier there is no comb built above the mat.  The
advantages I find are that not only is there no burr comb in the lid but the
bees are not exposed immediately on opening and a puff or two of smoke
around the edges starts them moving down before the hive mat is lifted.
This season I am moving into propolis production so have placed propolis
mats immediately under the lid which I expect to serve the same purpose (as
well as collect propolis).

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island