From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 12:06:03 -0500
Hello Randy , Stan & All,
Thanks for the post Randy! Thanks to Stan for picking me up off the ground
so to speak and stepping forward!

I have several friends which feel *exactly* as Stan does but feel the
internet discussion of the neonicotinoids will not accomplish their goals.

The politics of beekeeping is like a chess game to these guys and if moves
are made it is to further position in the game. Most  leave the day to day
arm wrestling to me.

Most feel the result with the neonicotinoid issue in the U.S. will end with
a checkmate or a possible draw (getting label changes) but not a game loss.
As in a game of chess ( can be played with people in other countries one
move at a time over a very long time period)  it will take time to provide
the *science* needed to force change as in my opinion change will not be
voluntary (unless like in a game of chess checkmate is inevitable)

The newest issue on the news is cell phone radiation possibly causing BRAIN
cancer. Hmmm. Will be interesting to see how the issue plays out.  BRAIN
cancer might be a bigger problem than cancer from tobacco.

In fact the age old point that you can only believe half what you read on
the internet ( which is again pointed out by Randy) is the position of many
*which do not read the internet*.

I think BEE-L is different. As Juanse pointed out many major players in
beekeeping *read* BEE_L. However most are lurkers. Many have read most posts
for years  but have never did even a single post!

I can not count the number of times a researcher has pulled me aside to ask
about a subject on BEE_L which he had information on but was afraid to post.

I always give my email address and say send to me and I will post and keep
your name out of the discussion. I always protect my sources. Really very
simple if I did not I would not get information. With researchers trust is
earned. Trust is built slowly. Also Randy you will find as I did that once a
researcher knows you write bee articles *less* information is provided (
unless the researcher has trust you will keep parts of the conversation
private or pass on without using the source.

I have to provide *trust* references many times with new researchers I come
in contact with.

> I contacted a Bayer rep.. He did not answer by email, but rather
> give a me a phone call.

I saw the same thing . I actually prefer the phone as you can cover the
subject faster and *most of all* ( like a news program) keep the subject the
issue at hand and not let the person on the other end change the subject and
avoid the question or issue.

The next thing you will see Juanse ( if your experience is similar to mine)
is MR. So & So can not come to the phone, you will be given to voice mail
which is never returned or promised action which never seems to happen.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

Missouri &  Florida