From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 1995 17:59:23 GMT
> Hi,
>      I would like to requeen two of my hives and produce comb honey. I
> have a few people asking about old fashioned comb honey and they indicate
> that it is hard to find.

Hi,

There are no special requirement for queens for  producing  comb  honey.
The special requirements are more how you yourself handle it.

Mostly, I think beekeepers just don't want the bother of fiddling  about
with all that sticky comb :-) You will have to select a little for nice
clean comb. Sections _are_ more tricky.

I've recently seen a rather neat technique which I plan to try and which
I  shall  pass on.  A beekeeper here leaves his comb honey to set in the
comb, then cuts it to fit the little plastic boxes we use  here,  making
up  the  weight with liquid honey if necessary.  Then he puts boxes into
his warming cabinet set to 45C and melts the honey.   The  comb  doesn't
colapse because it's supported in the boxes.

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott    [log in to unmask]         100332,3310 on CompuServe
Newsletter      [log in to unmask]      ditto