From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 22:37:08 -0500
Hi All,
I'm not sure why so few Calif beekeepers are discussing the situation on
this forum.  I just got back from checking the grading of my colonies, and
the average was graded by my broker right where I estimated it to be, as it
is every year.  I don't understand all the questioning of grading of the
midwest bees, but this seems to be a South Valley problem, and I'm in North
Valley.

I suggest that if there is a question about fair grading, that the beekeeper
hire an independent grader.  There are skilled grading crews out there, or
he could hire the county ag inspector to get an independent, written grade.
 If you are talking about losing thousands of dollars, get a second opinion!
 Either you've got the bees in the box, or you don't.  Shouldn't be any
question.  Apparently, there are questions as far as the expectation of
colony strength by the growers or brokers--I suggest you guys get this
clarified in writing before you load up next year.

I feel really sorry for the disasters faced by you hard-working
midwesterners.  However, I'm also seeing the locals suffer.  Today there was
a yard of midwestern singles, with the lids screwed on, containing only
frames of new foundation, a nearly empty feeder, three combs of shook bees,
no stores, and facing subfreezing nights and weather too cold for flight.
That grower is not going to get his money's worth!  Nearby were several
truckloads of about 10-frame-strong local bees unplaced because the
beekeeper couldn't find a grower wanting them.  The attitude of many growers
is that they rented all the bees (read that, "boxes") they needed at a cheap
rate.  Of course, they got what they paid for, or less.  The poor local guy
who busted his butt all year to have strong bees will make nothing, because
he was undercut by an out of stater.   The bottom line is everyone
loses--the grower, the local beekeeper, and the out-of-stater.

The almond growers are going to need out of state bees in the upcoming
years, and the out of staters are only going to come if it is financially
worthwhile, and without a bunch of surprises.  They sure aren't going to
make money hauling out three colonies, and only getting paid for one!  Or
gambling that they are going to make it through the bug station.  I
certainly don't have all the answers, but I hope my posts have helped to
clarify some of the issues.

Randy Oliver
California