From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:13:21 -0700
Good news.  The farm where I keep an apiary is going to sign with Pennsylvania’s CREP for 10 years.  He is the last of the farmers near me that plant corn large scale.  He says he will make more per year on CREP than corn.  I’m just beginning  to research the program, but in brief talk with him, he is required to plant native grasses and wildflowers to benefit wildlife.

Anyone familiar with CREP?  What I am seeking, is information concerning what bee friendly plants might be planted.  And by keeping bees on the property, if I might have power of persuasion in ask CREP to selecting wildlife plants that are beneficial to bees. I suppose most wildlife plants would be benificial to bees, but if I could influence them in some way that would be good.

http://www.ducks.org/Pennsylvania/PAContent/1064/CREPHome.html
Pennsylvania’s CREP Leads the Nation with more than 150,000 acres enrolled in state to improve watershed quality and wildlife habitat

http://www.pa.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/crp.html
The Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) and Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP) provide technical and financial assistance to eligible farmers and landowners to address soil, water, wildlife, and related natural resource concerns on their lands in an environmentally beneficial and cost-effective manner.

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'