Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:53:05 +0100
Hi Coleen,
                        I suffered a similar reaction when I was stung
earlier this year just above my left eyebrow.  I removed the sting and
thought that would be the end of it.  However,  within 20 minutes my eye had
started to close up with swelling and within 1 hour was completely shut.
The swelling around the eye was like half of a grapefruit.  The next day the
swelling had subsided on my left eye but spread across the bridge of my nose
to the right eye.  Visiting a client later that day it was suggested that
I'd been in a fight!  And at beeclub 2 days later I was teased with the
nickname Tyson (following his defeat by Lewis).
Previously this season I had collected 30-40 stings on at least 2 occasions
and regularly got a dozen or so whilst inspecting a particularly vicious
hive.  I work bare handed and usually collect at least six stings a week.
All of this with little reaction, so I was particularly surprised at the
severity of the reaction to the eye sting.
As a cautionary measure ALL stings in the eye area should be examined by a
doctor without delay as major damage to the optic nerve can take place.
Also if stung in the eye irrigate it with copious amounts of saline solution
or eye wash such as Optrex and then seek medical attention.  One beekeeper
of my acquaintance once got venom sprayed in his eye, when a bee tried to
sting him through his veil venom was shaken into his eye.  He had a severe
burning, minor swelling and sought medical attention STRAIGHT AWAY.
The tissue around eyes is very delicate and although you may not react to
stings on any other parts of your body the reaction to stings around the
eyes is often severe.   On the other hand my eight year old daughter was
stung in the eyelid once and had no reaction whatsoever apart from a
stinging sensation, maybe not much venom was injected, maybe she's just
hardy and lucky.
Don't take chances with your eyesight after all,
You can walk with a wooden leg,
You can write with a plastic arm,
Just try looking with a glass eye!

Take care.