From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2010 08:33:01 -0700

> >*if* almond growers pay by the frame of bees why do they stop paying at a
> certain number of frames?
> Never could figure out why?

I can only assume that it is due to not analyzing the available data.  I
hope to soon publish an analysis that I've done on all frame-strength vs bee
flight and pollination studies that I could find.

Bottom line, up to about 16 frame strength, there is a direct and extremely
strong correlation between frame strength and foraging effort (and thus
pollination efficiency).  Growers would be wise to pay based upon frame
strength--clear through the range of 0-16 frames.

> >The hives had nine frames of brood with bees but the
>
> weather was cool and the bees would not leave the brood. Glenn Davis and I
> scratched our heads and decided the problem was the brood....Lots of brood
> can be a hindrance at times

The effect of the presence of brood could use a bit of explaining,
especially when comparing almond bloom (which may last three weeks in an
orchard) to apple king bloom (which may last only days).

Without brood, there is little incentive for bees to forage for pollen.
 When Dr Eischen studied the Aussie packages vs full hives, he found (if
memory serves) that they foraged like gangbusters initially, as they began
broodrearing, then dropped off as they then needed to cover the developing
brood.  Your example from your apple orchard was likely an instance of this
phenomenon.

In almonds, the presence of emerging brood when hives are first placed,
ensures that there will be replacement of aging foragers throughout the paid
pollination contract.  The presence of young brood ensures that the foragers
will be seeking pollen.

> >Glad you noticed. Growers notice also.

I recall discussing with other Calif beeks some thirty years ago how hives
brought directly from Colorado to almonds foraged more vigorously than those
which had wintered in the Valley.  Due to effect mentioned above.

> > leaving the bees in the almonds for weeks on end is the lazy way of doing
> things.

Depends largely upon amount of winter chill to the trees, and temperature
from Feb 15 on.  Some years bloom of all three varieties in an orchard is
over in a week, other years takes three weeks.  But impossible to predict
fully in advance, so contracts are in place when you move in.

> >Randy we are all on here to learn from each other and share information.

I'm in total agreement, which is why I read every one of your posts, Bob!
 Although I often "discuss" statements that you make, it is because those
statements help us all to learn.

> .>Placement in almonds at times has always made me laugh.

Me too!  Frustrating, often, as growers simply waste their money on
expensive bees.  Here is something that I observed two years running.  In an
extremely uniform mechanically-pruned almond orchard with no landmarks
(missing trees, etc), hives placed within the orchard may lose their entire
field force, which (I guess) drifts to hives placed along the periphery.

I also completely agree with your observations about north side and shade.
 It is a waste of bees to place them there.

> >Or maybe to show the Australian package bees are not worth the top almond
> pollination fees?

You would have to ask Dr Eischen if he had a premeditated agenda against the
Aussie packages prior to starting the trial.  However, since some of the
research funds came directly from almond growers, my guess is that he was a
scientist simply attempting to answer legitimate questions with hard data.

Randy Oliver