From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:50:48 -0600
> An overview of the formic acid situation in Canada:

I wondered when I read this interesting article, and it was not long until
my phone rang.

My source is very close to the CAPA, the CHC Chemical Comittee and PMRA
discussions, and takes issue with the suggestion that these bodies intend to
withdraw or limit the use of either formic by Canadian beekeepers.
Specifically, my source tells me that in a conference early last year, CAPA,
CHC, and PMRA agreed to leave formic use as-is and also decided to work
towards approval of oxalic acid for general use, employing data from Europe
and also local experience from tests in Canada.

I'm also told that it almost seems that several Canadian
beekeeper/entrepreneurs are trying to gain control of formic and oxalic
treatments and generate a profit by developing proprietary applications,
then attempting to discredit and outlaw the inexpensive, effective methods
that are proven and recommended in our different regions.  If there is any
pressure to limit the use of liquid formic, I'm told that this is where it
is coming from, not the authorities.

Don't get me wrong, these proprietary methods certainly have their place,
particularly for small operators or those who are not prepared to learn what
they need to use formic safely or effectively, but I am also told that they
do not work in all circumstances, and that, for example, the NOD treatment
has problems where time is short, and a quick fix is required.  This is not
to say that it is not good, but that the various other applications
definitely have their place.

In short, if there is a move under foot to limit the use of formic and
oxalic by beekeepers, I have not heard.

Au contraire.

allen
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/