From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2011 09:31:45 -0500
> A thought provoking comment on the subject.  You are correct that our environment contains many poisons that we are exposed to regularly and we continue to survive.

Yes, but that was not my main point. The key point is that systemic poisons are one of nature's ways of self-defense. When we develop a systemic insecticide, we are copying nature, not violating it. Uninformed people also think that genetic modification is somehow inherently dangerous. Genetic modification is widespread in nature, often producing harmful results, but just as often genetic changes are beneficial.

But there is nothing intrinsically unnatural about systemic pest control, or genetic modification. None of these things are outside the parameters of nature, and that's what makes them viable tools in our struggle with the various organisms which we combat on a daily basis.

This is not to diminish the harmful effect of environmental pollution, pesticides, and such. Neither would I dismiss the potential for long lasting harm that goes with genetic tinkering with the genomes of living organisms. But we have done these things throughout the history of mankind. When mistakes are made, many people suffer the consequences.

For thousands of years people have been plagued by contaminated food, shape shifting microorganisms, and wily predators. Early attempts to protect crops and preserve food led to the consumption of large amounts of unhealthy substances, resulting in illness and shortened lifespans. Modern methods are much better than the older ones. For example, canned tuna is much healthier than salted cod. Frozen food is much safer and more nutritious than pickled.

Even today, with all our advancements, we are battling pests, viruses and bacteria that can quickly evolve to avoid the shots we fire at them. But to take a position that certain techniques are wrong because we don't understand them, is to take a very narrow view. Tools can be used to build up and to tear down.

It is understandable that people have a difficult time keeping up with new developments and its understandable that they are suspicious of what they don't know. However, I have a real problem with people who are quick to condemn and show little real interest in learning the facts about the very things they condemn.

PLB