From:
SHolisky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 23:24:42 -0400
Jerry J Bromenshenk wrote:
>tried all of the skunk remedies

I agree Jerry, the best method is just to keep the hives away
from their reach.

Quick story. Itıs about midnight and thought Iıd look at my
hives before turning in. So across the road and back a bit, I
came face to face with a skunk, who also wanted to check out
the cluster size. Went back, loaded the gun, and proceeded to
the bee yard again. Hereıs where the problem started...I
became so engrossed with watching the skunk ( through the
scope ) go from hive to hive looking for a free meal, he
finally realized I was there AND CAME AT ME !! Four feet of
grass and pitch black are not a good combination. Click went
the safety, my feet did their thing.

Buster colonies do a fine job of self-protection, the weak
fall prey. Working them after a round with a skunk is no fun,
win or loose.

I prefer the square 4² trap, inside a box that would only
allow a skunk to enter ( no beekeepers feet ). Trapping is a
humane way of controlling a nuance predator, and relives the
foraging pressure from it's more ³properly predisposed²
relatives. I have never had a skunk release from such
encounters.

Poison is the last resort for the wary skunk. Unfortunately
sometimes necessary.

Best so far is that Iıve had a couple of owls spend fall /
winter above the hives, as Canada grows colder ;-) .Now
thereıs natural control.

Scott    N. of St.Paul, MN  USA