From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:46:23 -0800

> > all the parasites that you mention did not originate in California--they
>> were imported by out of state beekeepers.
>>
> >All?

Yep, no other way to get into the state.

> >That's for sure--out of staters should keep their hives home!  If you can
>> convince them of that, you will be a hero to California beekeepers!

Sorry, Bob, was making that suggestion tongue in cheek.

>Bob, some have had serious problems, but in general, CCD, as Jerry says,
>> was in poorly-fed out of state bees placed into holding yards.
>
> >And in California beeks ( based in California hives returning from the
> Dakotas ) I have been told.

Bob, roughly one quarter of all managed colonies in the US are in the
Dakotas each summer.  When brought to California, they would be "out of
state bees," no matter who owned the boxes.

> >Many did not rent bees last year because they were afraid they would not
> get
> water ( personal conversation).

Many  were not going to rent, but at the last moment changed their minds.  I
don't know how many actually never rented.

>Those growers said they would rent this year if water supplies increased.
> Not so?

More important is the demand for almonds, which drives the price, and thus
profit to the grower.  If almonds went to $4/pound again, those growers
would haul in water by truck!  But yes, more water on the West Side would
likely increase demand for bees somewhat.

> >Looking back at my records California beeks have reported good fall
> bees every year the last decade including the 2006-2007 crash.

Not in my experience.  In my experience, few are greatly surprised when
their bees do poorly over winter.  There is a very different feeling among
Calif beeks this year.

The issue of Calif vs out of state beekeepers is largely semantic.  Many of
the large Calif operations (and even small ones like my own) move out of
state after July 1 when things dry up here.  Many out-of-state beekeepers
move to Calif for almonds hoping to take home some gold.

>The hives of Horace Bell Honey are the best value on the market today in
> my opinion. A better value than package bees

Exactly my point, Bob!  When there is a demand, some enterprising person
will find a way to fill that demand.

>year the growers played hardball and drove down prices offered, so bees
>> stayed home until a high enough price was offered.  Given a high enough
>> offered price, hives seem to come out of the woodwork.
>
> >I don't totally agree. high price is not the main issue.

Bob, price is the *only* issue.  If growers offered $1000/colony rent,
California would be flooded with bees in a year or so, no matter what the
grading, transportation issues, or border inspections.

> >And is not price fixing common in California by almond growers?

One large group of them tried last year, and failed.  If they were able to
fix prices, how much would they offer?  A few years ago we gladly moved
hives to almonds for $45 rent (I started pollinating almonds at $8/hive back
in 1980).

Re grading, growers have every right to get what they pay for.  Growers
willing to pay a premium have every right to ask for inspection to guarantee
that there are actually bees in the boxes.  Last year, hives rented in my
area from $100/hive to $200/hive, dependent upon strength.  The $100
beekeepers got the better deal by far.

I'm actually taking some of my hives out of graded contracts and into field
run this year.  I would make much more per actual frame of bees.  This is
kind of silly, as there is plenty of indirect data to show that pollination
correlates directly with frame strength up to about 16 frames of bees.

At the Calif convention, data was presented (and I have been following up
with the presenter) in which he plotted actual nut yield per acre against
average frame strength of the hives pollinating those acres (this was done
in a large number of orchards owned by the same grower).  Bottom line, for
each additional frame of bees placed into an orchard, the nut yield was
increased by about 85 lbs.  I have to check on whether that was whole nut,
or nutmeat.  If it was nutmeat, then at the projected price of about $1.40
per pound, each frame of bees returned the grower about $120 in additional
nuts.

So what then is each frame of bees worth in almonds?  The growers need to
make a profit, but when nut prices are high, they can afford to pay
beekeepers to produce the necessary number of colonies.

Re pesticides and forage:  I visited a few Midwestern states this season,
and was appalled by the lack of good forage areas.  Corn and soybeans wall
to wall, pesticide and herbicide use everywhere, all water sources likely
contaminated.  I tip my hat to any beekeeper who manages to survive there!
 But I met a number who not only do, but actually make money at it.

> >Always glad to have a civil discussion on almond pollination.

Me too!  I just like to mess with you  : )

Randy Oliver