From:
Kenn Tuckey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:56:18 -0600
Hello All:

I am trying to write an article about canola.  In part of the artcile I
wish to discuss the effect on seed yield when honey bees are present or
absent.  Please Note: I am NOT talking about the absolute requirement for
pollinating insects to produce hybrid canola seed.  My interest is in the
fields grow by the average farmer.

I am also interested in information on nectar yields from the two Brassica
species  - Polish or Argentine.  Which produces the largest honey crop?

I am interested in  anecdotal evidence from beekeepers but I am especially
interested in any studies that have been conducted on these subjects.

As beekeepers we feel we play an important part inthe success of canola
growers.  However a study of the information on the Home Page of the Canola
Council of Canada is very humbling.     http://www.canola-council.org/
The ONLY mention of honey bees is to watch for them when spraying.  The
concern was that the beekeeper would be harmed - not that loss of bees
could reduce crop.

You can reply directly to me or , I suppose this could open a new thread.

If there is lots in the archives please let me know and I will look.  I may
look anyway, if I can remember how to do it.

Thanks for any help.

Kenn

Kenn Tuckey
Provincial Apiculturist,  Alberta Agriculture, Food and Rural  Development
17507 - Fort Road, R.R. #6,  Edmonton, AB T5B 4K3
Phone 403-415-2314   Fax: 403-422-6096
Mailto:[log in to unmask]