Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 06:03:25 -0600
> That was the FIRST time I actually removed frames from a hive without wearing at least a veil

When our son was quite young -- can't recall the age, but young enough
that he thought it cool to run around in a T-shirt and rubber boots and
nothing else -- he used to occasionally give us the slip and disappear
outside with his ally, the dog.  (We are on a large country acreage).
In those years I always had hives near the house, and one day we caught
up with him only to find him at one of the hives with several frames --
bees and all -- leaned up against the hive just the way he had seen me
do it.  I don't know how much farther he would have gotten, but he was
having no worries.

Another time, I was pulling honey from about twenty hives on the large
lawn between our place and the country road on a bright, sunny summer
day in July that just happened to be the town's sports day.  Among the
entertainments was a small train of wagons behind a garden tractor that
rode the local kids around the town.  We are on the edge of town --
about 400 yards from it -- and when the little train came within sight
of me, the driver noticed me blowing bees in only shorts and sandals and
pulled into our circular driveway, stopped and gave the kids a good view
from about 40 feet away-- right in front of the hives.  What could I do?
  I just kept working.  Nobody got stung. (Thank Goodness).