From:
Molokai Meli LLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 06:21:12 -1000
For the bee industry to be sustainable (and I mean the whole industry,
not
just particular individuals) there has to be an emphasis on raising
healthy
bees, either to sell or to use to replace one's own dead-outs. I think
we
have to start thinking about nursery yards whose sole purpose is to
raise
new healthy colonies. No doubt, isolation would be helpful: to avoid
pesticides, new pests, and general reinfestation -- not to mention stock
improvement.

pb

Aloha Peter, and all:

I agree with this idea and am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to
how to begin.  We are on an isolated island with our apiary being the
only commercial honey/beekeeping operation.  I've been thinking this
same thing.  We may have an opportune location to raise a healthy stock
to begin with that could at least start out varroa free.  We've raised
a few of our own queens just for our own replacement, but currently our
whole stock is from feral hives.  They produce, but they're pretty hot
by US mainland standards.  I'm thinking getting a few good breeder
queens would be a great start........

Molokai Meli
Molokai, Hawaii