From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:00:42 +0700
> From:    Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
>
>  Commercial level in Thailand?

Nope, bees are wintered in Sweden, beekeeper winters better in
Thailand... :-)

> This does not agree with anything that I have read.  Presumably it requires
> a great deal of stirring to break down coarse crystals?  When I have used
> coarse starter, no amount of stirring seemed to make any difference.

Until you keep it at 10 C all the time.

> as I am aware, all commercial packers grind their starter to produce fine
> crystals.

Most of them used to, but it's not needed with this method.

> I would also ask what is the cost of refrigerating to 10C?

The starter needed is less than 3%. In my case I use an old fridge to
hold 30 kg of starter. Enough for 3 (metric) tons of honey. Yes 1%
starter will crystallize honey so fine you are not able to detect any
grains in it. I keep the honey at 18C after adding the starter, but it
works up to app. 25C during crystallization process.

> will produce a fine grain, although it will take years; again, this does not
> agree with anything that I have read or observed, i.e. that freezing honey
> will stop ALL crystallisation.

The lower temp, the slower build up of crystal structures. The crystals
strive to move together to form larger units. Low temp with it's higher
viscosity counteract this movement and the small crystals that are
formed can't move far enough to attach to others and establish larger
units.

>>But you don't need to make the starter with any crystallized honey.
>>Liquid honey will crystallize most of the time anyway in 10 C
>
> It might, but often with a very coarse crystal structure in my experience
> (unless it is mainly from oilseed rape).

Until you keep it at 10C.... Any honey will work. Try and you will see.
Don't believe the old books too much, Peter. There is papers published
on this work, I think one of the guys behind it was in Apimondia in
Canada. But can't dig anything out about it when I'm here in Thailand.

Have to finish here, there is a BBQ and some Chang beers waiting...;-)

--
Cheers

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden (temp relocated to Thailand)
[log in to unmask]  http://www.algonet.se/~beeman/