From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 22:13:22 +0200
David Eyre wrote:

> We encourage extra drones in our yards by
> adding drone foundation to selected hives, making drone mother colonies. How
> many others do that?

Well, actually I have a drone frame in each hive. I requeen with a ripe cell in
the hives and need drones of the right origin on all locations. As long as I
have F1 queens in the hives, I have the right genetic drone stock that way.

Now it's not only for my queens, but my drones mate with other beekeepers
queens who don't care for breeding better stock. So this way I will influence
the genetics of most drones in my area and are getting better mating for every
year. And I don't belive that I loose any honey because of all the drones.

> .       Here in the BEE-L we have a perfect learning tool, with the
> anominity it is possible to learn without loosing face. I was always taught
> if you don't know, ask. If you want to raise you're own, and don't know how,
> then ask!!!

Agree with you! There is a lot of knowledge among the members of this group,
but there has to be questions to bring that knowledge out in the open.
I have a few words and some pictures of my queenrearing on my homepage. If
there is any interest from you out there, I can get a bit deeper into the
subject.

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden