From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2013 11:17:10 -0600
> Hello Randy & All,
>
>>So let’s look at her actual methodology, which brings up a few questions:
>
> Your opinion is always interesting but a few of the listed points seem
> rather minor.
>

> 2.  >     She also made the questionable decision to take all the bees for
> all “replicates” from only one colony, instead replicating the experiments
> with bees from multiple colonies, which may differ in health and
> susceptibility to the toxin.

 You answered your own question. Bees from multiple colonies may differ in
 health and add further factors to an already complicated study. These>
studies are complicated which is why many researchers were never interested
 in doing.

> 4.      >  She then stressed the bees by both treating them with CO2
> (which
> can shorten lifespan)

 CO2 has been used on bees and queens for years.

>>and then holding during the trials in an incubator at
> a relatively cool temperature (dropping as low as 74°F) which can increase
> both bee stress and pesticide toxicity.

 74F. Rather cool temperature. Give me a break. I don't keep my house that
 warm. ! I have a GOF incubator and have kept bees at middle
 70 F for weeks testing.

 Ideal for bees but not for brood or queen cells.

> 5. >    the control curve should have been shown.

 I actually agree with Randy on this point. *If* she ran the curve the curve
 should have been included.

 When all research is laid out for us then you can draw your own
conclusions.
 I never have a problem with looking at research but we  draw different
 conclusions from the researcher at times as to what the conclusions are.

 Thanks to Randy for his thoughts! Every discussion has two sides like a
 coin.

 Easy to pick apart studies.

 Coulda , shoulda and woulda come to  mind.

 Chemical company studies are often picked apart by beekeepers.

 bob