From:
Harvey Abeille <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 09:03:43 -0500
>According to recent research from Argentina, "The
>prevalence of Bacillus spp. in 279 samples of different
>food products collected in Argentina was studied.

I don't get your point. Do you suppose honey in other countries has bacteria
and yours doesn't? You'd better check. The only way honey wouldn't have live
bacteria & yeasts is if it has been over-heated. Or worse yet: irradiated.
What makes raw organic food special is that it may contain many living
organisms, unlike irradiated food or food that is heavily sprayed with
chemicals.

got to:

The National Honey Board
http://www.honey.com/pressrm/IFT/2003/safety_quality.html

Bacteria Naturally Present in Honey May Enhance Safety and Quality of Foods

Honey exhibits well-known resistance to microbial spoilage. The resistance
has been attributed to a variety of characteristics of honey, mainly the
sugar and hydrogen peroxide contents of honey. However, some honey samples
exhibit additional antimicrobial activity that could not be explained by
known honey components. Researchers at Cornell University have theorized
that this antimicrobial activity as being produced by the
naturally-occurring bacteria in honey. They presented their findings today
at the annual IFT meeting in Chicago.

Bacteria were isolated from six types of U.S. honey and tested for activity
against nine foodborne pathogens and spoilage microbes. The bacteria
isolated from honey had significant anti-fungal and anti-bacterial activity.
Listeria monocytogenes was the most sensitive bacterial pathogen to the
honey bacterial isolates. Researchers speculate that some of honey’s
antimicrobial activity may be due to compounds produced by the bacteria
naturally found in honey. These compounds, when characterized, may have
potential for food safety and food quality applications.

Paper #29G-2, Antimicrobial activity exhibited by bacteria isolated from
selected US honey samples, by H Lee, MA Mundo, JJ Churey, OI Padilla-Zakour
and R Worobo, presented July 13, 2003.