From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 20:11:06 -0700
On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Dave Johnson wrote:

> >FROM:  BeeKeeper  Art Halstead
> >conditions, etc, somebody always has extra
> >equipment at bargain prices (never buy at
> >full retail!) and always glad to talk bees,
> >(most of their family has heard all their
>
> Hardly the best advise, unless of course you want to buy other people's
> problems.
>     ****************************************************
>    * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, *
>
> Guess what?  Art has wonderful advice and a world of knowledge of
> beekeeping.  Don't take this quote out of context of his  entire post,
> particularly the advice about a joining a local bee club for new
> beekeepers.

Thanks Dave for standing up for what I thought was excellent advice.

As far as an other beekeepers' problems are concerned, I'd say we're all
in the same soup together.  If there is a problem in your neighbourhood,
it's your problem whether you have brand new or old second hand equipment.

As beekeepers, the best thing we can do is get together and share,
because although sharing brought us many of our problems, it also brought
us the solutions.  To start out without the advice and support of older,
neighbouring beekeepers is folly.  I admit it freely because I did it and
I paid for the lesson many times over.

Whenever we try to deal with problems and new experiences on our own, we
miss out on the wealth of wisdom that others are waiting to share.

To beeginners: That doesn't mean that you should only listen to the
loudest or most self assured beekeeper you meet, but rather should talk to
many and listen to all and follow the more successful and patient ones.

By all means find your local club and go to a few meetings and don't be
afraid to buy from some members - with council from the others, of course.

IM(H)O, anyhow.

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0
Email:   [log in to unmask]    or   [log in to unmask]
Futures, Art & Honey:http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka