From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:29:06 -0500
Adrian M. Wenner wrote:

> I don't find Horton's statement to be
> true.

(Please, Aaron, don't get after me for excessive quotes!)

Adrian, your post was not too convincing either. The problem with
discussing faith and science is that it has become either/or while, in
truth it is both. You can have a strong appreciation for the scientific
method and have a firm belief in Christ.

Just because a scientist challenges church authorities does not make
him/her a non-believer. Nor does a Christian who challenges church
authorities on matters of faith lose his/her faith. History has more
martyrs in that category than any martyred scientists.

There is a myth that has developed about the separation of faith and
science. Truth is until the mid 1800's most scientists were strong in
the faith. The separation of the two started later in the 1800's when
archaeologists said they could not find a correlation between
civilizations in the Bible and historical evidence. It was not until the
mid 1900's that the civilizations described in the Bible were
authenticated. But the damage had been done. The shift started and moved
into to the opposite extreme, faith was totally discounted which is just
as bad as completely discounting science. Add to that the antipathy
toward religion that now exists in academia and you have where we have
come to in the current debate.

Any who have been on this list for any length of time know I am a strong
supporter of the scientific method. What you may not know is I am an
evangelical Christian who values my relationship with Christ more than
life. I look at the universe God has given us as a great puzzle where we
in science have only found some of the edges, the easy part.

There is an excellent book, Finding Darwin's God, that encompasses much
of what I believe about evolution. What I find interesting in the book
is our concept of God. Our understanding of Him has gone from a very
simple understanding of a simple God, to a God that is far beyond our
comprehension. In the same way, the Universe has gone from simplicity to
a level of complexity that just gives scientists more problems to solve
for every one they think they have solved. It is the same in most of
science. This list is a mirror of that.

When I was in the Navy, topics that were forbidden in the Wardroom were
sex, politics and religion. So what is left? The weather? We contentious
humans have even made that a argument generator with global warming. We
will not solve the problem of science and faith on this list. We might
solve it with the knowledge that God does love us and we should love
each other (as I was reminded by another on this list).

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine