From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:47:50 -0600
Hello All,

>It would now be appropriate for the authors of the Science Report to issue
>a retraction of the claims linking CCD to importation of Australian bees. -
>DENIS ANDERSON & IAIN J. EAST

Having authored the only series of articles on the Australian import and
most likely the most informed U.S. beekeeper on the subject (other than
Danny Weaver)  I should comment.

If the Science article had simply said the Australian import *could*
possibly have been the source of IAPV but further research was needed to
confirm then none of us would have had a problem with the article. Instead I
believe (from memory) the article says IAPV came in with the import over ten
times.

>> Anderson and East suggest that CCD is an ambiguous disorder consistent
>> with normal winter losses.

I have never spoke with Anderson directly but several of those which have
have carried my questions to ask Anderson .  Denis has never had an answer
to us about what he thought might have been at the root of CCD. The above
kind of surprises me.

However Anderson is considered by most of the beekeeping community to be the
worlds foremost bee virologist. Virus is his specialty.

bob

--
believed to be clean.