From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 08:30:53 -0400
Tom Barrett wrote:

> Of course I realise that large commercial beekeepers cannot by and large use
> IPM and still show a profit. But that is another question.
>
> If you visit the Danish Beekeeping site you will find detailed information
> on using 'non chemical' treatments.

IPM is Integrated Pest Management and is not tied to "non chemical"
treatments. You can use a variety of methods, including Apistan,
Cumophose and the like and still practice IPM.

IPM is a method of assessing when to treat, so unnecessary treatments
are avoided (saving money and increasing effectiveness) and is practiced
by some commercial operations since it does save money by reducing
pesticide use.

I do see some problems in the approach you are taking since it is not
IPM but the opposite. You are using a variety of "non chemical" (they
are all chemicals, BTW. Just most are considered benign. Except for
drone trapping.) approaches and by doing so, you have no idea what has
worked. I am not a supporter of FGMO, for example. A noted bee
researcher tried it and the fogger is now gathering dust. But it has a
following and if you disparage it they will protest loudly and proclaim
that it is effective. But many use it like you, in conjunction with
several other treatments (including Apistan!) so there is no way to
measure what worked.

Another problem is that the effects of varroa are cyclic and can give a
false sense of security. Here in Maine, Varroa counts have been low and
over wintering has been exceptional with few losses. So we will have a
load of swarms in the spring and restart the feral population. Which
means we will recreate a Varroa pool and will see increased colony kills
in a couple of years. Meanwhile, all those who have tried the latest and
greatest will assume that it has worked and you will read about it on
this and other beekeeping lists as being effective. But when Varroa
peaks again, you will hear of colony deaths, but not attributed to their
treatments, since they "worked" for several years. Few like to admit
they were wrong. The mythology surrounding those treatments will
continue.

You may think this a bit cynical, but I prefer realistic. I have seen
too many beekeepers follow the current fad and lose everything. And they
are not beekeepers any more. I am the last one in my area, where there
were at least five others.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine USA