From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:08:32 -0500
Hello All,
I am on the road (Aaron in regards to your email)in the south and my
wireless hookup does not want to send my email. So will reply off the web.

Jim:
Does not matter if the east coast migratory bees are not in a cluster. The
point is the amount of time the load is exposed to possible honeybee toxic
fumes.

Truck stops where 150-300 rigs are sitting (many runing) are popular
places for truck drivers for obvious reasons. It seems that loads which
are being sent direct by team drivers are not seeing as much problem at
the destination.

Also I think all of us realize by now whatever CCD is its not caused by a
single problem.

Dewey Caron gave his CCD presntation at the MSBA meeting I attended. He
said:
" When myself and my students went to check my eleven hives in the spring
ten were dead and bees missing"

I like Dewey and do not want to discuss further but as you can see he has
little to contribute about CCD.

Gaven:
Most of the commercial beeks I have spoken with think last years losses
were directly related to nosema & poor varroa control. However there still
were some unexplained losses and those seem to be whole loads of bees
which looked great before shipping found crashing on arrival at the
destination. Dead bees several inches thick on the truck bed. Our
hypothesis has been given merit by those trucking bees as certainly
possible and needs further research.

Those we have ran our hypothesis by seem very interested and wonder why
others have not considered the possibility.

The  nations bees for the most part look good this winter but reports of
problems at destination still are popping up which makes many of us look
for an explanation. Other than simply saying stress (which is the answer
those not looking very hard at the issue want to claim). Stress paints the
picture with too broad of a brush.

At this time I doubt I will be at the California meeting but have got
friends recording certain presentations.

bob