From:
Chuck Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:31:23 -0500
At the risk of adding greater confusion to Mr. Wiegel's statement:)

"So, again I ask, If there is no difference in the health of the honeybee
colony; and it is easier and cheaper for the beekeeper – why shouldn't we
be feeding HFCS55 as the preferred source of winter feed?"

Why do some folks buy bottled water at the grocery store bring it home and
then cook with water from the tap? In fact some tap water is so highly
treated that it is unadvisable to use it to feed bees!
(see:http://www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/syrup/feed.htm#1)

Then, there is the very respectable opinion of Allen Dick as noted in his
diary: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/syrup/feed.htm

That last link should help clear up any confusion, except for one
additional item, cost of feed (protein and carbohydrates).

Most commercial beekeepers will not compromise quality for price, but they
will look high and low for the best prices. Hobbyists have the problem of
not being able to handle minimum tanker loads, yet they must search for
suitable sources of feed.  Buying a hundred pounds or so of powdered sugar
from broken bags is not good for your bees as the starch used to keep the
sugar in powder form will cause digestive problems. ALL beekeepers have
problems feeding bees! Some problems are created by shortages of pollen
and honey; other problems are created by that which is manufactured by
mankind or other bees. Each situation can be different.

A beekeeper who is just learning about bees will have problems trying to
sift the flour so the only the truths are allowed to settle in the bowl of
knowledge. Yet, this vocation and avocation is so full of hearsays, old
wives tales, and "it works for me(s)" that to be judgmental with any
degree of authenticity beekeepers must look for rational scientific
reasons that have been proven in statistical scientific studies, an
experienced mentor, and good common sense.

I also suggest one should consult with caution and prudence that which has
been published in many bee magazines and on the BEE-L and then search
further with such links that have been noted within the archives of BEE-L.

BEE-L is a wonderful gift for all who care to read it.  BEE-L is available
because there are some very knowledgeable folks who take the time to read
and post responsible answers to a myriad of beekeeping questions. The BEE-
L is IMO successful because of the manner in which it exists; and the work
of a handful of beekeepers who help moderate this list. Then there is one
other beekeeper who unselfishly endeavors to continue BEE-L's existence
and is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of this excellent source
of beekeeping advice and rhetoric, the OWNER. To all these folks I tip my
hat and give my sincere THANK YOU for helping me become a better beekeeper
by providing such a wonderful well of knowledge!

Sincerely,

Chuck Norton
Norton's Nut & Honey Farm
Reidsville, NC 27320