From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:24:11 -0800

> >Acetic acid most likely kills all the spores but not as fast a solution
> as the bleach.

This is not a simple question to answer, because you are asking only about
killing spores, and I'm not sure that nosema spores are the only
problem--you may also need to kill associated viruses or some other
pathogen.  Recent research by Dr. Steve Pernal et al suggest that acetic
acid does not do that good a job in preventing subsequent mortality (to
answer tests of Pete's hypothesis).

Pernal did not test bleach, but I'm in agreement with Bob that bleach is
likely a good disinfectant of combs.
I'd also like to see someone test a chain conveyer with strong UV lights
shining on both sides of combs prior to reboxing.

>Dr. Eric Mussen says (based on his research) the bees jump in the feeders
> because the bees are actually starving due to the mid gut problem (
> nosema?) and are trying to take in syrup.

Actually based upon Naug and Mayack, and Higes research.  N ceranae
infection increases sugar demand in bees.

> >I think bleaching the comb and replacing with healthy bees works best for
> me.

I haven't seen this formally tested, but suspect that it would help.  It
would be very easy to test with a couple of dozen hives--I'd be happy to
write a protocol to follow if anyone wants to run a controlled trial.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA