Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:09:52 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Hello,

Interesting comments on cutting handholds and the perspective of a commercial operator (Bob) and his dislike of additional nailed on handholds vs., a smaller operation (jim) and his recommendation for them.

Sorry Bob I am in Jim's corner on this one. A lot of commercial operators have boom cranes and other lifting devices that are almost never used in smaller operations. The fact that used equipment may ultimately end up in a commercial operation is not a enough good reason for not modifying the pathetic grips that we refer to as "handholds".  Keep your hatchet handy, but don't chop your finger off.  :-)

One of the smartest and best modification you can make to existing or new equipment is to add some sort of additional grip in the handhold area.  Calling the grooves that are cut into the sides of boxes handholds is like calling a chopstick a baseball bat.  At best you can only get your finger tips inside to do the lifting and carrying.  Regardless of the size a full honey super weighs too much to carry with finger tips.  And it is only because we do not do this regularly that there are not injuries galore. If it slips you can rip off a fingernail or drop it on your foot, among other possible calamities. It is not just your fingertips that are strained using the existing handholds.  It can affect you hand, wrist and even your back.

My favorite modification is a 3/4" X 3/4" X 6" strip, GLUED and nailed above the existing handhold.  This small modification completely changes the way you grip the super.  I only use two on each box, on the short side.  I rarely find my self lifting using the long sides.  A full length strip would be better but I make mine from small scraps of lumber.  I guarantee if you try lifting two supers of equal weight, one with the modification and one without, you will be amazed at the difference.

I once heard Steve Tabor say that we are keeping bees in the same equipment for the past 100+ years. He is correct, of course, maybe with the exception of plastic foundation.  If every industry followed this pattern we would be moving bees in wagons and trains, eating dried or canned veggies all winter long, and the only way we could be reached is if someone yells loud enough or comes looking for us. (Maybe the last one isn't so bad.)

Doing things like this simple modification may make beekeeping a little more enjoyable and easier on your body. You may stay in it a little longer and possibly outlast some of your equipment.  Then Bob won't have to be busy removing those darn slats.

Take care,

Ron
(Believes using full depth equipment for honey supers should be illegal.)

Ron Bogansky
Kutztown, (eastern) PA, USA

+

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2