From:
Steve Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2013 22:45:24 +0100
> That is not the experience in the UK; I think 27% recurrence was the figure
> given by our National Bee Unit.  That is why they moved away from OTC and
> introduce the shook swarm technique which was quoted as having a 4%
> recurrence.  This was my experience also when I had EFB - OTC did not clear
> it, shook swarm did.

I attended the SICAMM conference in Switzerland last year where they had
an interesting discussion on EFB.
Their preferred system has, in recent years at least, been shook
swarming but before the conference they had suffered an EFB epidemic
that was impossible to control.  They eventually found a modified shook
swarm method that was, at the time of the conference, showing great
promise although I have not heard anything since about it.

The system they started to employ was to shook swarm the bees into an
empty cardboard box.  They then stored them in a cellar for a period (I
can't remember how long) and then shook swarmed them a second time into
a normal, sterile hive.  The cardboard box and any comb that had been
drawn in it were then destroyed by incineration.

Steve Rose
UK