From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 09:42:22 -0600
As much as I hate to get into this, and refuse to get into trying to define,
"organic", I can see a humorous side to the whole thing, seeing as "organic"
is a concept that has created a niche market with, for the most part, high
prices.

Assuming -- as seems to be the case -- that in many (most) cases, "organic"
producers depend on there being a sometimes huge price advantage for their
product over "non-organic" honey for their business model to work, then, if
that price differential in their favour went away, their higher costs and
smaller scale would kill them.

How could that happen?

Imagine, if all of a sudden, every beekeeper were to become organic, then
the differential would evaporate, and the formerly niche market would be
flooded, and become the mass market, driving prices down.

Thus, except for those "organic" beekeepers with a low unit cost of
production (of which I imagine there are relatively few, percentage-wise ) a
mass adoption of "organic" production methods would be bad news for the
current group.  How about that?