From:
Bee Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 15:29:14 -0500
At the Southern New England Beekeeping Association (SNEBA) meeting
for Nov 2007, Jennifer gave a talk that included her full set of
results, and thereby, allowed her to present "final" rather than
the "preliminary" findings presented at HAS 2007.

Audio (sorry, no video) of the talk is here:
http://www.bee-quick.com/presentations/jen/SNEBA_jen_small_cell.mp3

Long story short, the number of mites per 100 cells was found to
be higher in "small cell" colonies than in controls.  The results
were statistically significant, and are "in press" for journal
publication.  Mites per 100 cells is a very good way to measure
the mite/bee ratio independent of the specific population of each
hive.

So as to avoid inciting a riot, it is important to note that that
these findings merely invalidate the EXPLANATION of the mechanism
claimed to limit varroa populations in small-cell colonies.

The findings make no broad statements about the viability of any
specific beekeeping practices.

At the same meeting, Larry Connor gave his by now famous talk
on "Fat Bees/Skinny Bees", leaving me very confused as to how
I was going to get those desirable "fat bees" if I was using
"small cells".