From:
Adam Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2017 15:59:40 -0500
> >You can't wait till a honey flow to exclude or they do get swarmy.  If
> the excluder is on all the time,  they seem use to it, and used to
> transversing it.
>
> This is what I have found as well.  You need to have supers on in time for
the dandelion flow and have feed ready to go as soon as you pull the last
super in the fall. (I try have barrel in the yard already and take the lid
off as we leave with the last pull).

> >Top entrances are a huge key.
>
> I feel that these are very important as well.  We have fairly long winters
with significant snow.  The bottom entrance is often blocked with snow, ice
or dead bees for the bulk of the winter.  Depending on the winter it can be
mid-April before we can get into some of the yards, without a top entrance
it would be a long haul with no cleansing flights or ventilation.  A mid
entrance seem to work pretty well for my nucs.  A single 3/4" hole half way
up the box.  It doesn't get plugged with dead bees or ice.

Adam
Barrie,ON