From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2016 17:21:22 -0700

> >I think a lot of beekeepers use smoke "too little, too late."

A lot of beekeepers do not understand how to use the least amount of smoke
to the greatest effect.  Smoke is disruptive to the colony, and an
experienced beekeeper uses very little.

Timing is everything--many indeed apply it too late, or miss the 1-second
window of opportunity when it is critical to apply a small puff.

Once the hive is opened, my simple rule of thumb is to use enough light
smoke to make sure that no bees are looking at you.  If they're looking at
you, they are aware of you.  No need to apply any more until they begin to
start looking at you again.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA