From:
Judy and Dave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:20:39 -0400
Hello All.

Remember about 3 years ago, someone wrote about "Evergreen Sweet
Clover"?  Well, being me, I immediately called and ordered some seed.

Dave planted about 1/2 acre last year, and an additional 1/2 acre this
spring.  The 1/2 acre that came back from last year is in bloom.  Bees
are all over it.  Nothing much else is blooming about now because of the
drought both last year and this year.  But this white sweet clover is
amazing.  It is about 4 feet high now and still blooming.  Started
blooming at about 1 1/2 feet, and continues to put out additional
blossoms as it grows.

Now, this clover looks a lot like the white sweet clover that was
blooming along the roads.  So I called the supplier and asked about
that.  Apparently the clover along the road (some might call them weeds)
was the base for this Evergreen.  They did some genetic modification to
make the bloom last longer and to make the plant be a perennial (that's
instead of a biennial).  Apparently this work was done at Ohio State U.
years ago and the company selling just recently figured an economical
way to collect the seed.

Looks great so far, the clover has pretty much choked out all the weeds
in the field.  When I examined the plants in spring it appeared that the
growth was from the old roots, not just seeds.  We'll know for sure next
year if it's really perennial.

The seed cost $2.20 per pound.  But that didn't include shipping.
Shipping was from Minnesota to Kentucky.  Put the price of the seed at
$2.75 pound.

I often read a snippet about something and wonder how it ever comes
out.  So, if any of you wondered about this seed, here's the report!

Judy in Kentucky, USA