From:
Mike Rossander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 22:41:40 -0800
Good evening, Aaron -

Add mine to the many voices expressing support for the work you do and for the benefits of moderation on the BEE-L list.  I'm sorry that you're taking flak.  You do not deserve it.

I have to admit, though, that I'm a bit surprised to hear that you're getting abuse.  As a reader, it's not apparent who is upset with you or why.  Not knowing what kinds of posts are getting rejected, I don't know that the rest of us can really offer useful opinions about what should be changed.  Can you give us a synopsis of the nature of the complaints that you received?

Mike Rossander

P.S.
Having said all that, if I had one wish for a change to BEE-L, it would only be to ask you to check again with the system administrators to see if they still care about the rule against "excessive" quotes.  With the dramatic reductions in the cost of electronic memory and the improved archiving techniques, most companies I work with have abandoned their "size control" rules.  The costs to usability are no longer justified by the systems savings.  I have to think that the folks at Albany are seeing the same trends.
As I think I've said before, the problem for me is that some participants at BEE-L feel that they must comply with the rule so strictly that
they slash out _all_ the context, making their reply very difficult for the rest of us to
understand and to place back into the proper order.  Since some people respond to posts made days ago, saving the messages or even using the web feed is not a guaranteed solution.
That's really a nit, though.  I wish the rule about quotes were a little looser.  I can't think of anything else to ask for and definitely do not want you to loosen the guidelines about civility, relevance, staying fact-based, etc.  Thanks for giving us the opportunity to offer our opinions about the functioning of the list itself.

By the way, are you the only moderator?  The "What is BEE-L" page implies that there are multiple moderators but you seem to be the only one we ever hear from.  Are the guidelines out of date?  Would it take some of the stress off you if the list had several moderators?

Thanks again.