From:
"Mark A. Templin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 1994 15:11:54 -0700
Results of the previous survey by myself for the USDA software development
team...

no. responses = 59 distinct addresses
no. Windows/DOS users = 42 no. DOS only users = 6  no. Macintosh users = 11
no. users converting to Windows = 3 no. users who prefer DOS to Windows = 2

percentages...

Windows/DOS systems = 71%  DOS only systems = 10%  Macintosh systems = 19%
DOS converting = 50% (of DOS users)  DOS is user's preference = 4%

39 of the 59 responses would like more information on available software.

More (group) responses are on the way and we will keep you updated on the
latest figures as they are calculated (bi-weekly).

As a result of the survey, we have confirmed our suspicions that a vast
majority of the computer-using world members are using Windows whether by
choice, upgrade, or simply having to "keep up with the times."  There also
seems to be a number of Macintosh users (I am myself one) out there with
significant interest in our software.  New software releases will be developed
for Macintosh and Windows platforms, which offer great flexibility in format
and graphical design.  As a result, sound and/or graphics will be included to
a much greater degree than before.  It is possible that we will continue to
publish in DOS format.

We would like to thank all of the respondants to our survey.  The information
we have gathered thus far is invaluable.

The first public release of PC-REDAPOL is scheduled for MONDAY AUGUST 15.
Those members of the List are encouraged to e-mail myself for instructions on
how to access an anonymous FTP site.  If necessary, I can post an FYI
announcement to this List.  Information regarding the location of the FTP site
and other special instructions will be posted on BEE-L List on Friday, August
12 at 12:00 pm MST.

Warning:  these dates are scheduled as <planned>.  We are in the middle of
getting new Internet lines installed at the Lab and there may be a slight
delay.  Any changes will be posted before the effective action date(s).

Thank you for your time and consideration!

For a readme called "How to FTP" please request via e-mail or "snail"  mail
at:
or
Mark Templin USDA-ARS Carl Hayden Bee Research Center
2000 E Allen Road Tucson, AZ 85719 (602) 670-6380

Cheers,
Mark.