From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 07:24:10 -0400
Waxworm in brood is often identified by a few uncapped cells that tend to
form a row.

When there is uncapping of brood caps of waxworm infested cells,,,
Who is it doing the uncapping?

In the case of waxworm in brood,,,

Are waxworm responsible for uncapping the cells or the bees?

I have heard some say that it is hygienic bees going after the worm, but I
often still discover a worm under the cappings near the uncapped portion
of cells. So this suggests to me that hygenic behavior is perhaps not
responsible for the uncapping.

I am going with the waxworm as the culprit.
There is reason to believe it’s the worm…

1) If the bees uncap the worm, they not seem to taking the next step to
remove the worm from the cell.
2) The cappings contain pollen and nourishment, this would be an
irresistible meal to a waxworm, even if it does serve to expose them to
danger.

Who is the culprit going on this uncapping caper? Bees or worm?

Best Wishes,
Joe
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FeralBeeProject/