From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2015 06:41:48 -0400
>> Not that it helps now, but counting varroa is best done
>> with a sticky board while the hive is still alive.

> With all due respect,  no.
> Best method bar none is Randys Wash methods.

First, Randy has noted that "natural mite drop" is the actual "best method":

"Stickyboards are generally the most accurate and consistent method of
estimating the total mite population, since they monitor the entire colony,
rather than just a sample of the bees."

Second, when it comes to screening and sample collection practices, one
should check out the current consensus on best practices in research, as
found in the Coloss Bee Book.  These recommendations are far superior to the
suggestions of other beekeepers, as they are evidence-based.  I dimly
remember the issue of "ether wash" vs "natural drop" being addressed in an
early 2000s study by Nancy Ostiguy and Maryann Frazier, only because I
remember their EAS talk where she talked about the "Great Lakes IPM" varroa
card with the crossword puzzle-like pattern.

Anyway, here's the link to the authoritative word on varroa screening and
monitoring:
http://www.coloss.org/beebook/II/varroa/4/1

But mason jars do have their place in beekeeping, some people package honey
in them.  :)

The series of photos with explanations linked below may help to clarify the
issue of varroa feces.
The mite feces will only be found in cells where varroa have reproduced, at
least to my knowledge.
Mites will not enter a cell and defecate "in the cluster, no matter where it
is", as they will remain on a host bee until a brood cell with a larvae
beckons.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=2744&page=14

So, varroa feces will not be found in a honey super unless the queen laid
some eggs there, and varroa reproduced in those cells.