From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 00:13:03 EST
In a message dated 1/19/00 3:57:00 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<For comparison, humans think in language and words.>>

    You're right, in my opinion, that the premises of this show were shakey.
First, we have no way of knowing how bees see the world. We have only
theories and speculation. Second, humans think first in images; language and
words are the inadequate vehicles that roughly approximate the content of our
minds. It's analogous to looking at a printed photo of something versus
looking at the real thing: Our eyes see the full range of color (as we
experience it) while the printing press can only produce a more limited
spectrum of colors.
    Before theories such as bee visualization are advanced in the mass media,
at least some modicum of supporting evidence, even theory-dependent data,
should be available. I'm aware of none for visualization among honey bees.
"Shooting the bull" on sci.ag.beekeeping is one thing, shooting the bull on
PBS is another.

John