From:
"W. Allen Dick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 23:50:09 -0400
I have some land near railway tracks where several freight trains a day go
through, usually at considerable speed.  Occasionally they stop to shunt
cars.  I'm considering using a building about 50 feet from the tracks for
wintering bees indoors.

Has anyone had any *actual experience* with wintering bees near railway
tracks?  I'm not sure if honey bees are aware of airborne noises or if the
ground might vibrate under the building sufficiently to disturb them.  I
suppose I'll have to observe carefully when a train goes by to see if I can
notice any vibration through the ground that far away.

I'm wondering if the vibration and noise are sufficient to cause problems.
I've heard that noisy, vibrating fans in wintering buildings lead to losses
in hives near them, but wonder if the occasional passing train would be a
problem.

Has anyone any data on bee sensitivity to noise or vibration that might
apply?

allen