From:
Eunice Wonnacott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 1997 14:56:38 -0300
My personal lifetime experience with tooth decay would seem to indicate
that whatever one eats which has the potential to promote tooth dacay,
would be a contributing factor.  Also to take into consideration  the
chemical composition of the saliva.  This differs in each individual.  As a
child, our home was amply supplied with honey, which did not have to be
bought at a grocey store, just grown in the back yard!  The family dentist
used to tell me that our parents loved me best, because they fed me the
most sweets!  I had all my first teeth extracted by the age of three.
Semi-annual visits to the dentist kept the fillings up to date.  One
memorable set of sittings saw eighteen fillings the fall I was seventeen.
etc., etc., Anecdotal, but factual.  We were supplied with toothbrushes,
but told not to "waste" toothpaste!  I do not remember any instruction on
"hw to "use the tooth brush.  Our parents, I am sure, believed they were
giving us the very best of care.        By age fifty, or so, the problem is
completely solved:  full dentures, no more toothache, or DRILL.

        Contrast this with my children who had fluoridation, dental cleanings,
counselling on brushing techniques, flossing, etc etc. .  Cavities are
almost unknown in all seven of them, and they are now adults, some with
children of their own.

        My opinion:  The modern generation appears to try to "make their fortune"
just about any way they can.  Litigation included.  Bad personal dental
hygiene is the door where I would lay both my own and their problems.

        Just one person's experience.

        Eunice

        "From The Cradle of confederation"