From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 15:13:38 -0400
>Gotta a question for experienced queen rearers. If I was to make early
>splitts and produce some queens now, without honey a honey flow. Would
>the queen wait till spring to mate if no drones available in the area or
>will she try to mate that 3 day period after hatching ? thanks in

Quickest way of getting drone layers. If the virgin queen doesn't mate
within a few days or even has an incomplete mating then the result will be a
drone layer.
    I have had a virgin queen keep a hive happy right through to spring, no
eggs or brood. Once spring came and the bees had more stress it went down
hill very quickly.
The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, Orillia,
ON. L3V 6H1. Canada.
Phone (705) 326 7171
Fax      (705) 325 3461
David Eyre. Owner.