From:
Jeremy Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 21:23:52 -0800
Here is what I have seen recently in regard to hive health in southern
coastal CA.

I have been feeding hives for a commercial beekeeper on the coast
recently, and some hives are very dramatically worse off than last
season.  It is my observation that beekeepers have been very much
over-confident after how successful they were last season.

1.  Starvation-- This season was a bad drought, and hives that stayed on
the coast all season have been on the brink of starvation since
September.  Cannot feed them fast enough.  Some yards were 15 frames in
October and now are 6 frames.  Hives that were brought to the coast full
of cotton honey are in much better shape, but there appears to be a slow
kill happening in some hives, with dead workers piled in front of the
entrances.  Eucalyptus started blooming this week, which is a helpful
source of pollen.  I am also noticing the phenomenon recently coined
"entombed pollen" in many hives, where there is brick red pollen sealed
beneath wax.

2.  Varroa-- As more holding yards are brought into the area, mites are
reappearing in previously healthy hives.  In response the hives consume
syrup reserves at a greater pace.  All hives in other yards I have
looked in have misc. forms of home-brew miticides.  Also, hives are
coming home from South Dakota after a poor clover honey crop loaded with
mites.  Apparently South Dakota has cracked down on off-label miticide
usage, so the hives were not getting treated before being sent home.

3.  General hive health-- I have noticed that the hives seem "fragile"
this season.  Feeding them syrup can be enough to kill what was a strong
hive.  This is apparent with the commercial run Italian hives.  I have
some yards with VSH queens where the hives are much more robust (and
much more full with bees).

Other interesting things I have seen recently include SHB larvae brewing
in pollen patties.

--Jeremy Rose
San Luis Obispo, CA