From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 09:48:24 -0400
Bill
Which is why the issue of GMO will go nowhere, if we are going to
  discuss it in its totality and not keep it at the bee level. Even there
  it has generated more heat than light.

I made a clear strong effort to discuss this topic. I presented
several sides, and members presented others. Some accusations were
made and the the thing died. Is this the best we can do?

This is a very serious subject which affects beekeepers. The
researchers have latched on to the honey be genome for various
reasons, unrelated to our concerns. Some beekeepres and beekeeping
organizations have thrown their support to the effort to use honey
bees in various experiments.

The potential side effects and unwanted ramifications are not being
discussed openly. Anyone who attempts to risks being called a chicken
little or a Luddite. Did we not learn from Kerr's experiments? How
researchers working in supposed isolation can affect all of us?

* I simply don't accept the argument that technological issues are
too complex for the average Joe to understand and get involved. *

One, we must try to understand what researchers are doing - AND they
must attempt to explain it. Two, we have to be included in decisions
that will affect us and our children - EVEN if we don't totally
understand these issues. Three, there must be respect for the groups
that *do not want* a high tech future, that want something of Nature
to be protected and retained.

These are basic democratic principles. I don't oppose progress, but I
do oppose a technocratic world where decisions are made in secret
based on the quest for power and wealth - for the good of the elite.
In a democracy, many life styles should be able to co-exist. The way
we are headed, you're either part of the techno-future, or move out
of the way.

--

Peter Borst
Ithaca, NY