From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 19:29:35 +0000
On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Allen Dick wrote:

> This is a new medium, and misunderstandings are common because droll
> or good humoured teasing and jests come across flat and hard, unless
> smilies are attached, and that seems to many to be a little phoney.

It does, but they (or <grin>s) are just about all we have to
replace the body language that we use far more than we otherwise
realise. I try always to remember to mark humour and so on
like that.

We all get the occasional 'off' day, too.

It's also easy for something to be misunderstood when a
conversation is via the written word. I had a classic example
just a couple of days ago -- does "network independent" mean it
works with any network, or does it mean it works independently
of any network?

Best regards,
--
Gordon Scott   [log in to unmask]   Hampshire, England.
               Beekeeper; Kendo 3rd Dan; Sometime sailor.